WotD Archives – January 2012
January 31st, 2012
1. Appropriate; fit; suitable; apt.
January 30th, 2012
1. An innovation in language, as a new word, term, or expression.
2. The use of new words, terms, or expressions.
January 26th, 2012
1. Haul or carry (something heavy or awkward).
January 25th, 2012
1. A fictitious name, especially a pen name used by an author.
January 24th, 2012
1. Having or showing little or no emotion.
2. Not interested or concerned; indifferent or unresponsive.
January 23rd, 2012
1. A very great or indefinitely great number of persons or things.
1. Of an indefinitely great number; innumerable.
2. Having innumerable phases, aspects, variations, etc.
January 19th, 2012
1. Minor; easily excused.
January 17th, 2012
1. Keen judgment or wisdom.
January 13th, 2012
January 12th, 2012
1. Insatiable greed for riches; inordinate, miserly desire to gain and hoard wealth.
January 11th, 2012
1. To reason earnestly with someone against something that person intends to do or has done.
January 10th, 2012
1. The juxtaposition of words that have a common derivation, as in “sense and sensibility.”
January 9th, 2012
1. Combined action or functioning; synergism.
2. The cooperative action of two or more muscles, nerves, or the like.
3. The cooperative action of two or more stimuli or drugs.
January 6th, 2012
1. Not harmful or injurious; harmless.
2. Not likely to irritate or offend; inoffensive.
3. Not interesting, stimulating, or significant; pallid; insipid.
January 5th, 2012
1. A characterizing word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of the name of a person or thing.
2. A disparaging or abusive word or phrase.
3. The part of a taxonomic name identifying a subordinate unit within a genus.
January 4th, 2012
1. Selecting or choosing from various sources.
2. Made up of what is selected from different sources.
3. Not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems.
January 3rd, 2012
1. A breach of good manners or etiquette.
2. A nonstandard or ungrammatical usage, as “unflammable” and “they was.”
3. Any error, impropriety, or inconsistency.