Walking in the Light
When I moved to Wyrmrest Accord, my friend and I started new characters, but soon after I decided transfer my Paladin, Vianessa. Poor thing, she has moved around a lot – I started her and leveled her to 85 as a Tauren on Horde on Eonar, then I faction changed her to a Human, then I moved her to Wyrmrest Accord, then I race changed her to a Draenei. Talk about an identity crisis.
But one part has remained consistent, she has always been Holy.
She is my first Holy Paladin. I have played a Prot Pally, and I have attempted Ret. But despite how boring they looked from afar while raiding on my Shaman and than changing my main to my Disc Priest, I have become quite attached to her as a healer.
My WoW career began with my Resto Shaman, continued with a Feral-turned-Resto Druid (who I ONLY play as Balance now heh), I created my Disc Priest with Cata and now I have my Holy Pally. Currently she is the only 85 I am playing regularly. My other transferred character is my Druid, Maelikki (the Feral-turned-Resto-turned-Balance Druid), but she is sorely neglected.
Already I ramble from my topic which was to originally be my thoughts on the upcoming Holy Pally changes in 4.3.
- Holy Radiance now has a 3.0-second cast time, no cooldown, and requires a player target. That target is imbued with Holy Radiance, which heals them and all group members within 10 yards instantly, and continues to heal them by a smaller amount every 1 second for 3 seconds.
- Seal of Insight, when Judged, no longer returns 15% base mana to the paladin. Judging Seal of Insight still causes damage, and melee attacks will still restore 4% of base mana.
- Talent Specializations
- Clarity of Purpose now also reduces the cast time of Holy Radiance.
- Illuminated Healing (mastery) now also applies to Holy Radiance.
- Infusion of Light now applies its cast time reduction from Holy Shock critical effects to Holy Radiance, in addition to its current effects.
- In addition to providing haste, the effect from Judgements of the Pure now increases mana regeneration from Spirit by 10/20/30% for 60 seconds.
- Light of Dawn now affects 6 targets (base effect), up from 5.
- Paragon of Virtue now lowers the cooldown of Divine Protection by 15/30 seconds, up from 10/20 seconds.
- Speed of Light no longer triggers from Holy Radiance and no longer lowers the Holy Radiance cooldown. Speed of Light now only triggers from Divine Protection.
- Tower of Radiance, in addition to its current effects, now also causes Holy Radiance to always generate 1 charge of Holy Power at all times.
- Glyph of Light of Dawn now lowers the number of targets to 4, instead of increasing targets to 6, but increases healing by 25%.
It is a hefty amount of changes for this far into the expansion, and my first set of real changes since I started playing my Pally. A couple months ago, I think it was when 4.2 came out, there were some changes to the mana costs of pretty much all the Holy Pally skills. They went up. That was no big deal, I learned to use my Judgement.
Well, I think they are making us regen mana slower now on top of that. But from what I was reading, the signals were mixed as to whether this is a buff or a nerf.
I am all about character balance, so I do not mind small tweaks to costs and effects and timers. But one of the things I like about playing a Holy Paladin is that it is a different type of healer than I have ever played. Be it right or wrong, the way that I play my Pally, I am almost always casting. There is a near constant flow of Holy Shocks, Words of Glory and Judgements, with Holy Lights and Holy Radiance to fill in.
Lil Vi is just about constantly flailing her arms casting something. And I like it. I suppose I could let people drop lower than I do and cast bigger Words of Glory by letting my Holy Power stack to three every time. But when damage is lighter and more consistent, I prefer to just keep casting.
Healing with my Pally is in no way boring. 🙂
I think my major concern is that I will have to totally change my playstyle with her. Having to be more mana-responsible, I probably would have to wait to use WoG when I have three HoPo, and I will not need to cast Judgement as often. Vi and I will not know what to do with ourselves, because I will not want to throw out Exorcisms, as my mana will have to be more carefully watched…
Oh, well. I have time to play her as she is, and I will adjust accordingly when it changes. The one nice thing about playing too many toons is that I am good at adapting (even if I was looking for my Stealth button while PvPing with my lil Paladin last night).
I adapted with my DK’s changes at the end of Wrath and the beginning of Cata, and I adapted to the healer changes when Cata was released. If I can adjust to those changes, I am sure my Pally will be no big deal. 🙂
EDIT: Vianessa is now Lazheward.