Letting Off Steam
By warned, my foul mood is likely to be reflected in the tone of this post. So my advance apologies.
Let me start by saying that I love raiding and I am serious about raiding. I want 8/8 Heroic! I bring my best to every raid and I work outside of raid to make sure I am prepared.
To me, this means ensuring:
- I have “just in case” food and flasks on Effy. Because even though food and flasks are provided, I sometimes die or miss those laid down and I find it silly and wasteful to drop a whole new one for one or two people.
- I have gemmed and enchanted any upgrades. And even though this is provided by the guild, I usually do it myself out of pure convenience since I usually have the mats and professions available to me.
- I know the fights. I am a learner by doing, but I still watch the videos and read through the boss abilities and find healing strats for particularly challenging fights – ie. Heroic Yor’sahj.
- I show up and I show up on time. To me, “on time” means at least fifteen minutes prior, and BEFORE raid invites start going out. And I dare say my raiding attendance is impeccable.
- I do my part. This means healing to my fullest, managing my own mana, maintaining my own buffs, and timing my CD’s appropriately (unless it is specifically asked of me at a specific time).
So anything that I do outside of this time of raiding and raiding prep period is my own. I devote more than the six hours of raiding time per week to my raiding toon. What I do beyond that is my own prerogative – whether it is time spent in WoW, in another game, or elsewhere not computer related.
To feel I am being told I am doing less than is expected of me beyond that point is infuriating.
I am a Restoration Shaman. As a class, I have accepted that my best performance is during progression – that as the raid’s performance improves, mine will actually go down. This is the mechanic of my Mastery. I best heal people who are almost dead. So as we switch to farm, I become less efficient.
I accept this, and I will defend this point.
I am also playing a class that has seen little to no change since 4.3. If my class changes, I will know, as I watch those things – patch notes and the blogs of other Resto Shaman I look up to. But if no changes are present, I am spec’d and stat’d and geared to the furthest performance and availability of my Shaman.
So what is there to research when I know how best to accomplish these things at the present time?
On another note, one of my biggest pet peeves? Passive aggression. If you have something to say, say it. This is probably why I am such a blunt and direct person, because beating around the bush annoys the crap out of me. Having someone bemoan something because they want something else – out with it! Say it already! I am not a mind reader, and if you expect me to I am more likely to blow up then be understanding.
P.S. = Sure, it is very likely nothing was aimed at me in particular, but when general statements are made, I feel they include me and therefore I have opinions and statements of defense. 😛 Once again, sorry for the tirade!