WotD Archives – February 2012
February 20th, 2012
1. To forecast or predict (something future) from present indications or signs; prophesy.
2. To foretoken; presage.
February 17th, 2012
1. Of or pertaining to the night (opposed to diurnal).
2. Done, occurring, or coming at night.
3. Active at night (opposed to diurnal).
4. Opening by night and closing by day, as certain flowers (opposed to diurnal).
February 16th, 2012
1. The district within which a bailie or bailiff has jurisdiction.
2. A person’s area of skill, knowledge, authority, or work.
February 15th, 2012
1. To regard or treat as of little value or account.
2. To vilify; depreciate.
February 14th, 2012
2. (Of leaves) heart-shaped, with the attachment at the notched end.
February 10th, 2012
1. Unrestrained or excessive in emotional expression; gushy.
2. Profuse; overflowing.
February 9th, 2012
1. Excessive or slavish admiration or flattery.
February 8th, 2012
1. Ostentatious in one’s learning.
2. Overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.
February 7th, 2012
1. Bad spelling.
2. Bad handwriting.
February 6th, 2012
1. Going beyond ordinary limits; surpassing; exceeding.
2. Superior or supreme.
February 3rd, 2012
1. To perform the office or duties of a pontiff.
2. To speak in a pompous or dogmatic manner.
February 1st, 2012
1. Changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic.
2. animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.
3. pertaining to, containing, or caused by the metal mercury.